12 August 2004

Windows, Blogger, Mono, Tomorrow

With Windows XP SP2 out I finally felt like it was worth installing windows again. I deleted it about 2 months ago for a size adjustment to my main hard drive's partitions. I tried to install it a couple of weeks after that but the patchs were so many I gave up. Yesterday or something I downloaded the new SP2 via bittorrent and today i did it: i installed windows. Remembering a news story about something called picasa and everyone's favorite search engine I decided to google for it... one thing led to another and I ended up creating a blog...

Actually I've been wanting to create a blog for a while now but there really isn't a single open source solution that meets the requirements - and i've tried'em all, including the CMSs (Content Managment System). Hopefully this will change soon but until then my blog will remain at blogger.com.

I could stop complaining and code the "Publishing Platform" myself like Filipe Carvalho (Chefax's VP) suggested but I promised myself I would only code again in C# (bash scripts excluded) - what a lame excuse! It doesn't seem likely I will learn C# anytime soon tough. I've been unable to compile mono and I don't feel like trying too hard for now, too bad they don't have slackware packages (those outdated external ones from the super-lame www.slackcare.com don't count - i'm not downloading from there!). Maybe I'll download the windows version in spite of always feeling kind of weird to code in windows.

Tomorrow will be a busy day, my uncle gets his new computer and I told him I would configure it and install a few programs (like Open Office) - he will drop it off at my house around 1 pm and I told it would be ready by dinner time, I also have to be at chefax early in the afternoon - I have no idea how I will accomplish this considering that I've been leaving at noon and arriving from the gym around 3 pm (just in time to buy lunch or cook something quickly) and slulmbering the rest of the afternoon....