21 October 2004

Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars

I'm sitting here typing this, listening to Aeryn's Funeral Theme - it somehow seems appropriate. I was amazed by this miniseries; Farscape was one of the best series ever, the miniseries had to live up to a high standard. And it did. In fact, in some ways, it even outdid the series. I can't get the scene were the command carriers emerge from the asteroid field of my mind. Or Rygel's underwater scenes. Breathtaking. That said, a two episode miniseries was far from enough to give a proper ending to farscape. The ending felt somewhat "Deus Ex Machina", nevertheless it was incredibly ironic: The very thing everyone was after almost destroyed them all and perhaps even more ironic is Scorpius' remark "This is insane".
I'm left with mixed feelings: I happy that the miniseries turned out this good and I'm sad because this is the end for Farscape. There will never be a series like Farscape. It was quite unique, unlike the many star treks, stargates and in some ways, even Andromeda - don't get me wrong, I like those series (especially DS9 & Andromeda) but they all feel the same (except DS9's final seasons and Andromeda's nietzschean/Tyr focused episodes). Farscape was somehow different.
So, should I be listening to Aeryn's Funeral Theme or Tchaykovsky's 1812 overture (which was played in season 3 of Farscape... or was it 4? It is all fading away so fast, like a dream after you wake up...)?