24 October 2004

Delicious Usefulness

When I began to use del.icio.us its usefulness was somewhat limited. I had Firefox's Bookmarks Synchronizer Extension and I also had them stored in HTML online. I figured I could use del.icio.us for pages I found useful but not worthy of being in my firefox bookmarks or just as a temporary bookmark until I had a chance to better evaluate the page. More recently I started using them for my blogmarks and newsmarks.
It is important to explain what I mean by blogmarks since there are different definitions of that word: for Simon Willison it is simply a separate link blog; Will Pate's definition: [blogmarks -] "These are links I find around the web that I want to bookmark and blog at the same time". There may be other definitions but like Simon pointed out, the word does not seem to have a widely accepted meaning yet. So I decided to give them another meaning (someone else might also have given them this meaning before me but how likely is that?). To me, a blogmark is a link to an entry in a blog. Likewise, a newsmark is simply a link to a given news item on a given website.
If I were to bookmark every 'bookmark worthy' blog entry or news in Firefox, my bookmarks file would quickly became huge (it already is big) and chaotic. However, del.icio.us makes 'size' (as in number of bookmars) largely irrelevant: it is extremelly easy to search and organize bookmarks. It also has the added usefulness of allowing my friends, readers (both of them), and perfect strangers to see what blog entries and news items I find interesting and relevant enough to be bookmarked.
Today while reading slashdot I came across an article entitled "IBM Tells SCO Court It Can't Find AIX-on-Power Code". I found it intriguing given the fact that AIX only runs on IBM's POWER (recently POWER4 & POWER5). After reading the article it was obvious that it was one of the worst examples of reporting I had ever seen - and I've seen Fox News. But this isn't a post about the article itself so I won't comment any further tough I will give some pointers: 1, 2, 3, 4. Funny posts: 1, 2.
If I can't remember all the good sites, how can I be expected to remember all the bad ones (like LinuxWorld.com)? Well, I can't but thanks to del.icio.us, I can keep a list with all the advantages I previously mentioned for blogmarks and newsmarks. Here it is: the BadSites tag.